Hamilton Herald Masthead


Front Page - Friday, May 1, 2020

Renters can apply for FEMA assistance

Renters in Bradley and Hamilton counties whose homes and property were damaged by the tornadoes and severe storms April 12-13 can apply for federal disaster assistance.

FEMA Individual Assistance is available to renters, including students and homeowners, and can help pay for temporary housing. The initial rental grant is for a 60-day period and can be reviewed for further assistance. The registration deadline is June 24.

Renters may also qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and other disaster-related expenses. These may include:

• Replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, text books or school supplies

• Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed

• Primary vehicles

• Medical and dental bills

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans to help Tennessee renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles. Loan rates are as low as 1.563%, terms can be as long as 30 years, and survivors may be eligible for up to $40,000, depending on their losses.

Survivors in Bradley and Hamilton counties can register with FEMA in the following ways:

• Visit DisasterAssistance.gov

• Download the FEMA App

• Call 800-621-3362 from 7 a.m.-10 p.m.

information about SBA disaster loans and the loan application process

Applicants may also call SBA’s customer service center at 800 659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information on SBA disaster assistance.

Individuals who are deaf or hardofhearing may call 800 877-8339.

Source: FEMA